A musical instrument like trumpets, trombones, and other brass instruments are played with the help of air from mouth. These devices require mouthpiece for the constant and effective flow of air. So before playing trumpet, the musician should follow trumpet mouthpiece selection guide for high-quality performance.
The mouthpiece is a small device that is found commonly in brass musical instruments. The lips of the musician are placed on the mouthpiece so that the mouthpiece acts as a path for the air from the musician to reach the valves of the trumpet. Hence the musician should select a high-quality mouthpiece without any disadvantages and drawbacks.
The mouthpiece is made up of brass or plastic and it acts as a part of the musical instrument where the lips of the musician are placed. The design of the mouthpiece is very simple; it is a single circular cavity that leads to a conical cavity, from the conical cavity the air is pushed into the surfaces of the device. Generally, the mouthpieces of trumpets are semi-spherical in nature.
Types Of Mouthpiece
The mouthpiece can be classified into various types based on the type of material and on the type of coating. Based on the type of material the trumpets can be classified into, brass mouthpiece and plastic mouthpiece. In the recent days, there are several other materials used for making trumpets mouthpiece, they are stainless steel, titanium, and wood.
The classification based on the type of coating in the mouthpiece is the silver coated mouthpiece and gold plated mouthpieces. The silver plated mouthpieces are cheaper, whereas the gold plated mouthpieces offer richer sound quality to the users.
Parts Of The Mouthpiece
Before moving to the selection guide, the musician should know about various parts of the mouthpiece. The trumpet mouthpiece has 8 major parts and these parts should be designed properly with effective performance.
Various parts of the trumpet mouthpiece and the features for trumpets are listed below.
- Inner rim diameter – larger rim diameter offers rich sound quality and smaller diameter offers a high range.
- Rim width – wider rim width is commonly used in trumpets because they reduce pressure within the lips.
- Rim contour – flat rim contour should be used for trumpets as they provide flexibility.
- Rim Edge – sharper rim edges offers control in the trumpets.
- Cup – the semi-spherical core cups are commonly used in the trumpets.
- Throat – either sharper throat contour or round contour is preferred for trumpets.
- Backbore – cylindrical and conical types of backbores are used for performance
- Shank- it is the region where the lips are placed.
Tips For Trumpet Mouthpiece Selection
The trumpet mouthpiece selection purely depends on the needs of the user. The usage of mouthpiece differs with the types and design of the trumpet. The commonly recommended mouthpiece for the beginner is the mouthpiece with the horn. This mouthpiece helps them to develop their skill. Among, the mouthpieces, the one with 7C batch is recommended widely for all the trumpet uses.
While buying a used instrument, try to get a mouthpiece that matches the brand of the device, because this will offer higher performance to the users. If you are an advanced Trumpet player, then move to gold plated mouthpiece than the silver plated mouthpiece. Because the silver plated mouthpiece does not offer richer sound quality similar to that of the gold mouthpiece.
Tips For Buying A Used Mouthpiece
Mostly, the durability of the new mouthpiece is high compared to the used ones. But many people like to get a used mouthpiece because the performance offered by the used ones is high compared to unused ones. Various tips for buying the used mouthpiece are given below.
- Check the rim for any dents or scratches, if so avoid those mouthpieces.
- The plating of the mouthpieces should be proper.
- Check the durability of the shank.
- Clean the mouthpiece and find out the history of it for health reasons.
If all these reasons are satisfied, then the mouthpiece is durable and the musician can buy it effectively.
So select best trumpet mouthpiece and increase the performance of the device.
If you feel this article is useful, share it in your social websites.